Vivage Reads

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Blink : The Power of Thinking without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

Blink

A good book, a good companion to The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference which I read not too long ago and reviewed here.

Gladwell outlines how snap judgements, the judgements we make in a blink of an eye can be (and often are) exactly right on. But when we try to think about why we made that judgement we flounder and cannot pinpoint exactly why we made the decision.

It's all about the momentary facial expressions that flit across our faces before we're even aware of the expression. We can't necessarily stop the expressive frame as our facial muscles react instantanously and then are replaced by more concious facial muscle masks. It's pretty fascinating in that I know I have, what I call gut reactions that I cannot explain to others I just know it's right. The trouble begins when others want empirical evidence when it's not there yet and one can't put their fingers on exactly how one knows what they know.

Ok, so this is a sucky review so just take my word for it, good book worth a read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home