Vivage Reads

Friday, June 16, 2006

Elantis by Brandon Sanderson

I had high hopes for this one. Lots of great comments from fantasy writers in the first few pages of the book.

I didn't like it tho. It has a great premise and I did like the first few chapters. 2 cities, one a normal city, the other a shining, glowing city filled with beautiful glowing beings that could heal, create about anything with a wave of their hand. But 10 years previous something happened and all the shining beings turned into the living dead. They aren't really dead but they are. No heartbeat, they don't die exactly but any injury causes them great pain and suffering. They don't need to eat but a great hunger gnaws at them. Normal citizens from the other city sometimes turn into these living dead and are basically tossed into the dead city to fend for themselves, no longer welcome in the other city.

The hero quickly turns into one of the living dead and begins to learn about his new city. The heroine is his new bride that has never met him but nonetheless is still married to him and is now a widow.

She is saavy beyond all measure and what made me detest the book was all the characters saw transitions in a paragraph or two and the author HAD to explain it to the reader. Which imo, assumes the reader is too stupid to figure it out himself. Or herself in my case. The mysteries of the Elantis people were figured out in a snap and then it was explained directly to another character.

Not only is there a mystery to the city of Elantris but there is also a religous war on their doorstep and because the city is only 10 yrs in the making the ruling class (of which the hero is the crown prince and the heroine the newly made princess of this country) is still finding it's feet. The ruling class used to be the merchants, how they were ruled prevous to the the fall of Elantris I can't remember. So there are monarchs to be disposed of, and financial (read: nobility) alliances to be made.

The time line is gawdawful, all of this takes place in less than 3 months. The religous group is cult-like and eventually the leading priest is overcome by some fantastical superhuman religous super priest of the same religion but a different sect. THis bothers the first priest and he finds salvation by helping the hero and heroine.

I was surprised by the reviews on Amazone, I took a look at them after I finished the book. It gets a 4.7 overall rating. I'd give it a 2.5. Only because the dialog was sooooo juvenile.

Don't bother - it's 656 pages of ambitious work but too simplistic in it's delivery.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:19 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    Wow, well when I'm looking to read more fantasy, I'll certainly skip that one, Viv!
    You'd be kind to people like you (and me, I assume) if you copied your review into an Amazon review for that book!

    Good review; thanks!

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger vivage said…

    I honestly wondered what was the matter with me after I read thru all 51 reviews of the book last night. I think there was maybe 2 people that gave it less than a 3.

    This guy is a first time author and he gets kudos from me for being one but I'm undecided whether to post a review or not. Because it would be a good book for a teen. hahaha, then the other point for me is a non-writer writing a review - not so good.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Molly Tunderbreeze said…

    Thank you for the blog. It sort of verbalizes my issues with Sanderson's plot development style. FYI, Brandon Sanderson helped finish out Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. The Amazon praises may be due to the awards this book won, and no one wants to tell the emperor that he has no clothes.

    I am reading his book, 'Mistborn,' and it appears that Sanderson uses the same plot development methods in this book. The reader is sort of left in the dark with no real clues for solving the mystery, but rather a single paragraph laying it all out about 200 pages later. For me, this makes for an awkward reading experience, rather than a mystery or puzzle for the reader to solve until that AH HA moment when those single paragraphs explaining it all finally arrives.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home