Vivage Reads

Monday, May 08, 2006

Multiple Reads

In the past couple of weeks I've been reading multiple books at the same time.

Kate Elliott, In the Ruins
This one, a serial book. Don't bother. Liked the first couple, this one is total male/female relationship. Total girl book.

Carol Berg, Daughter of Ancients
Better than the above book mainly because there is warfare, strategy, but it's still a relationship book. It's just not so in your face.

Dr. Phil, Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom
I got this book for free when I went to see the Dr. Phil show a few weeks ago. The book is fine but it's not compelling enough for me to read in a few days. I am about 2/3's thru it. Don't get me wrong, it's good but it's not perfectly suited for someone who doesn't really have food issues as it tackles some of it from the psychological standpoint as well as a practical standpoint. But the psychological is 90% of it.

Yesterday, me and the hub went to 2 different book stores, one in the afternoon, one in the late evening. And I ended up buying books at both stores. I got:

Two Julie Czerneda books: Surival and Migration: Sci-fi.
The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem: Sci-fi. Read 4 stories and it makes me smile so far. Love the illustrations.
After the Ecstacy, the Laundry by Jack Kornfield: A book about buddhism and enlightenment.

I'm supposed to read, Marley and Me for book club. I didn't buy it because I already know it's a quickie book and my friend Kim has a copy. So I am going to borrow it from her. I already know it's a heartwarming book as per Kim. But I also know it's a one time read, and won't take much thinking on my part. (not that thats a prerequisite, as per the couple of books above that were pure time fillers rather than great enriching stories.)

1 Comments:

  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    Hi Viv,

    I'm glad you're enjoying the Cyberiad story/illustrations so far.

    I'm going to wait until the paperback comes out or used books are more plentiful to get the Craig Ferguson book.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home