Vivage Reads

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

War and Peace

Seriously, this is one of the best books I have ever read. The characters are compelling, the battle scenes dramatic. It is long, but my philosophy about longer books is that you get to know the characters very well. Also, when you consider how many trilogies and series some of us have read, it isn't that different. I found that I couldn't put it down. An especially sublime section was the siege of St. Petersberg by Napoleon and then the long march home, when so many of his troops died or deserted during the harsh Russian winter.

I had to read it for a class called The Epic Novel. All of the books were long. But this one actually seemed to go by quickly.

My only advice is that there are certain parts you could easily skip. One is the chapter where Pierre is initiated into the Masons. Then, whenever Tolstoy starts philosophizing about the movement of troops during war, skip that too.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger vivage said…

    One of these days I'll read it. For some reason I feel it's such a commitment to crack it open.

    I am always compelled to finish a book: whether I like it or not. As far as I can remember there are only 2 books I've started and didn't finish.

    1. Women who run with Wolves
    2. Sophies World

    Maybe I don't want to start W & P because I'm paranoid I'd have to add a third book to that list. LOL.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger vivage said…

    Heh, I lied. Add this book to the list as the third: The Second Coming of Christ: The Resurrection of the Christ Within You (2 Volume Set)by Paramahansa Yogananda.

    Technically it's book 3 & 4 since it's a 2 vol. set and I've only finished 3/4 of the first book.

    But I do have every intention of finishing these 2, so it's not quite permenent on my list.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home