Vivage Reads

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A few of mine

Jim had a great idea, post a list of favorite reading. My list here is all Sci-fi/Fantasy. That's not to say I don't read other things but this genre is one of my absolute favorites.

Much of the sci-fi/fantasy I read is more memorable (for me anyway) by author. So this list might be by author or by title. Many of these are either series or pretty long 600 –1,000 pages. Like I said, I prefer complex epics. There is a mixture of both Sci-fi and Fantasy, some cross disciplines yet are sci-fi at the end.

A Door Into Summer: Heinlein. A novella having to do with time travel and it’s problems. Short, light and entertaining reading as is almost all Heinlein.

Time Enough for Love: Heinlein again. Epic and like Stranger in a Strange Land ultimate Heinlein.

Wraeththu Histories: Storm Constantine: You’ve got to go to the link to see the comprehensive summary. I cannot do it justice. Incredible work. Epic. Apocolypic world, human males change into something different. A mixture of both sci fi and fantasy. Extreme sexual content. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wraeththu

Jack L. Chalker: Midnight at the Well of Souls series: Many worlds accessed thru a well. Nathan Brazil, the protagonist who’s adventures in all the worlds keeps ya interested. I read this in my early 20’s, who knows if it would have the same appeal now. I used to have Dune on my favorites list…until I read it again last year. Now it seems simplistic and less complex than I thought decades ago.

Robin Hobbs: All of her books: Start out with Assassin's Apprentice. All of her books take place on the same world, although each series is set in a different part of the world and don’t really cross over to each series until the most recent books where some types of peoples from other books are mentioned but not characters. They are books of magic and adventure.

Tad Williams: he first appeared as a fantasy writer (Tailchasers Song and The Dragonbone Chair) and a very good one. I recommend ALL of his books but my favorite is The Otherland Series; sci-fi. Set in the future on earth, children are disappearing; not their bodies but their minds. And once caught they eventually die. Where have they gone? Gone into technology by playing online adventure reality games. The protagonist goes inside the technology to save her brother and finds whole fantasy worlds.

JV Jones: The Bakers Boy: another fantasy epic series. Four kingdoms, magic, an unlikely hero.

Dan Simmons: Ilium series. Set in the far future, in a far galaxy: Sentient robots, humans who can fax themselves to different places, regeneration, chroniclers who chronicle Gods and Goddess on Olympic Mons. Sci fi with a fantasy twist, but it’s totally sci fi.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    I suppose you should give credit to BABoR for the list idea, as he's done a few of them in his blog.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger vivage said…

    I hereby credit BABor and all other listmakers out there.

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    I went and checked out the Wikipedia entry for Wraethtu. Looks like crazy stuff, sort of reminiscent of Childhood's End in some ways. I thought that "Storm Constantine" was the name of a single volume in a series (it sounds like an imperative phrase to me), but it's the author's name, huh.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger vivage said…

    Yeah, crazy name for an author and she writes crazy storylines. I wonder if her name is a nom de plume or her given name? Don't know.

    I am amazed at her ability to create (uh actually I'm amazed at all authors abilities to create) her complex world, complex characters and the complex relationships. Boggles my mind.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home