Vivage Reads

Monday, July 24, 2006

Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Cordelia's Honor
Lois McMaster Bujold at B&N


This is two books in one. Orignally written in the early 80's as 2 separate books. Both books won Hugos back in the day.

I very much enjoyed her fantasy books that I wrote about a week or so ago. This book, Cordelia's Honor (and the 9 or so others in the series) are straight up sci-fi. Swashbuckling sci fi.

Cordelia and Aral Vorkosigan come from two different planets, and meet in the midst of war. Aral captures Cordelia and another of her staff on a planet where Aral's world has a rather large cache of supplies...more of a base than a cache as Cordelia finds out.

The two travel on foot to the cache, finding love in those first few chapters. Now, I'm all for love and relationships but this book left me cold. I'm looking for adventure and I get a relationship book. There are some great characters in the book and I loved those guys but I guess the love relationship wasn't in my brain when I picked up the book. The bulk of the book deals with their relationship and finally getting together and the child that comes of it.

There are government intrigues, Aral is slated to become the Regent for the new emperor who is a 5 yr old child. A coup happens and the child of Aral and Cordelia figures heavily in the resolution of the coup.

I do have the next book in the series. I might just leave it alone for a while save it for a day when I don't have anything to read. Despite the fact that it took me about 5 days to read this, it's an easy read and if it held my interest better it would have been a 2 day book. The other series: World of Chalion Series, is better. More tightly written.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home